The article is based on the Low Carbon Ukraine Policy Paper, published in July 2022.
Several crucial themes for a robust and successful green reconstruction have been identified:
- The implementation of green reconstruction requires a mix of programme design and policy, incl. policy reforms that remove known regulatory obstacles to green finance.
- A strategic decision is required regarding whether to make Ukraine a showcase model for selected frontier technologies.
- Affordable financing is vital for green reconstruction.
- Efficient administration of green reconstruction projects is necessary to secure speedy implementation.
- Governance of reconstruction programmes and a continuation of reform processes are required to attract financing.
- International private investment will require political risk insurance.
- Green post-war reconstruction of the country cannot happen without ensuring restoration of damaged ecosystem services.
Ukraine needs to develop a clear vision for its reconstruction in terms of the priorities and desired transformations. In other words, Ukrainians need to come together and decide which kind of country will be rebuilt.
You can read the full article on the VoxUkraine webpage: Link